[aur-general] TU membership application

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Sat Aug 17 19:58:25 UTC 2019

On 8/17/19 8:49 PM, Jean Lucas wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> On Sat, 2019-08-17 at 10:13 +0200, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
>> On 8/16/19 9:19 PM, Jean Lucas via aur-general wrote:
>>> My name is Jean Lucas, and I'm sending this email to submit my
>>> candidacy
>>> for Trusted User member. As per the latest TU bylaws, I'm being
>>> sponsored by both Alexander Rødseth and Sergej Pupykin.
>>
>> How many TUs did you ask for sponsorship, and how many declined?
>
> In totality, I asked 4 TUs - Alexander, Sergej, Alad, and you.

Why did you not make this clear in your application?

I'm sure you've read the wiki article on Trusted Users[1] -
> *Note*: Should the TU you contact decline to sponsor your application,
> you should make this fact known if you seek sponsorship from another TU.

Have you at least told xyproto & sergej that you have approached alad and me,
and the reason for me declining sponsorship?

> after a follow-up, you declined
> sponsorship for the moment.

Indeed, I did however offer to review any new things.

> I tried reaching out to you over IRC last Sunday, but alas, I probably
> should have done so over email instead.

This is the last i received from you, FWIW
> 0507201 9:00:00 <flacks> thank you for your feedback! all good points

> That said, I think its a bit unfair to say that I went off and found
> another sponsor without batting an eye - asking Alexander and Sergej
> seemed appropriate as they'd both adopted one of my packages, I had
> worked with you to resolve some of my issues, I've gone over all of my
> packages with a fine-toothed comb many times now, and got more help as
> needed. I didn't suppose that having you decline sponsorship should
> deter me from eventually applying until getting your approval. I regret
> that we didn't have better communication, though.

I don't think that's how it's supposed to work.

>> As explained by others, most of these cannot be moved.
>> Have you talked to your sponsors about this? What have they said
>> about this?
>
> I did not discuss the moving of those packages with my sponsors. I was
> hoping to get the community's feedback on the ideas.

But they're the perfect people to talk to about this!

>> xyproto, sergej - have you reviewed this application before?
>
> They did not review my application. I composed it all myself, for which
> I take full responsibility. I had worked on their willingness to
> sponsor me and sent what I considered to be a fair application ready
> for community feedback.

Welp, we cannot really move forward with this unless your sponsors are willing
to sign off on your application, anyways.

All in all I'm fairly disappointed in how rushed you are with this.
You went through 4 people, and at least one has brought up concerns,
the others likely being unaware...

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trusted_Users

--
Rob (coderobe)