[aur-general] Account

Robin Broda arch-ml at coderobe.net
Thu Jun 13 18:40:18 UTC 2019

On 6/13/19 8:32 PM, Aniket Pradhan wrote:
> Hello Radislav and everyone!
>
> I am not sure I get a vote, but Aye! (Sorry, but had to use this quote :P)
>
>> We are all sometimes doing strange things
> I agree with this. I suspect Goncalo was/is being naive here. He
> probably had no idea that one cannot just take over a package
> maintainership like that.

This isn't the first time that has happened, it's not even the second time this has happened.

> Maybe he just liked the _said_ package and wanted to maintain it. It
> was definitely strange, but at least he was honest and didn't try to
> make another account and spam the same thing (I am not giving ideas).
> Other than that, he is still interested in trying to develop some
> packages (because he wants to get unblocked) and help the community.

Besides this not being the first time, it's also not the only reason.
There have been numerous dances on our bugtracker too, among other things.

> In my opinion, a six-month ban is sufficient for a person who wants to
> try the AUR out, and want to learn more about it. However, if he
> commits the same mistakes after giving out many warnings, then I'd say
> its time for a permanent banhammer.

This has happened, and it's barely even been a full 6 months
- with Goncalo requesting pardon every few weeks, like jeez.

It's not even a real timeout - for us at least -
if all that happens is that the annoyance shifts from the AUR & co to
him begging on the ML.

> Regards
>
> Aniket Pradhan
> Byld Member
> ECE Undergrad | IIIT Delhi
> http://home.iiitd.edu.in/~aniket17133/
>
> P.S. I just went through his orphan requests and a few comments and
> replies. Sorry if I don't know the whole story but just want to help a
> fellow peer and get him a second chance. :D

I encourage you to dig in the archives and read about the other issues.
Get a more complete picture of the topic you're commenting on
instead of looking at the last thread only...

--
Rob (coderobe)