[aur-general] Copyrighted source on https://aur.archlinux.org/

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 25 15:14:01 UTC 2019

Hi Phillip.

I also don't want to enter a legal battle, and I certainly don't speak
for the rest of the Arch Linux team. However, it appears to me that
there's plenty going on here:

1) The distribution website is the first hit if you google
   libccmio-2.6.1-.tar.gz, I wonder if your searches are being directed
   to the AUR given your previous search history (i.e., filter-bubble).
2) It appears that the copyright owner is Adapco, not siemens. IIUC
   Siemens bought Adapco on 2016. Did you guys forget to update
   the copyright notice or is this an old tarball that was distributed
   before?
3) It appears this is hosted on a US .gov website, under a portal for
   distribution of scientific code. I'm sure would like to know if they
   are distributed copyrighted information. I can't seem to find a
   disclaimer noting they are able to distribute this tarball.
4) It also appears the tarball is distributing GPL-licensed code, which
   makes me wonder if this tarball itself is in violation of the GPL
   license (or was, and that's why the tarball is publicly available
   now).

Either way, I do agree that deleting the package until this matter is
settled is a reasonable way forward.

Thanks,
-Santiago.