[aur-general] Trusted user application: Drew DeVault

Christos Nouskas nous at archlinux.us
Wed Mar 6 15:27:49 UTC 2019

I had the following sitting in my drafts and, after seeing Mr DeVault's TU
application withdrawal, regretted not having sent it. Edited to refer to
the unfortunate conclusion.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019, 16:10 Darren Wu via aur-general <
aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Instead I'd like to ask this: if I'm to be damned by my past behaviors,
> is there a path to redemption?

As a complete newbie I might not have the rights to chime in here.

> But isn't it never too late if Mr. DeVault may add an apologetic comment to
> @noobpurple under https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/1227 now?

This thread has started giving political correctness the bad name it
deserves. Not so long ago another applicant had to go through a humiliating
interrogation, strong words and insults included, and not many apologies
were issued by his accusers; now some others are demanding (politically
correctly, thankyouverymuch) from Drew DeVault to act as others before him
haven't.

Drew DeVault handled all that pressure with overly due composure and high
professionalism, a strong token of his ethos, rarely found in some of his
impeccable inquisitors, which obviously wasn't enough because they kept
coming back for more. Even his sponsoring TUs had a hard time defending
such an apparent felon.

Next time, demand a copy of the applicant's juvenile criminal record, a
signed forgiveness from the Vatican and a sworn statement of adherence to
The Rules. Oh, and ten hand-written pages of "I shall be a good boy",
because nobody wants to work with a degenerate like
https://gfycat.com/ambitiousfluidkrill

This whole "TU application" procedure has proven itself flawed because it
allows anybody, in full impunity and immunity, to slander, bully and abuse
applicants, to the point of making them regret they had applied in the
first place.