[aur-general] Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri May 3 16:29:01 UTC 2019

On 5/3/19 11:44 AM, Bruno Pagani wrote:
> I still think that you would get a better user experience even for this
> case by telling the users explicitely that this depends on llvm-git.
> Because else, people would install mesa-git once, which will pull
> llvm-git as a dependency and build it for this only time, and any
> subsequent user update of mesa-git to get newer features might results
> in this sub-par experience he seems afraid of because gradually their
> installed llvm-git will get old if they don’t realize they need to
> update both. That’s why I’m against any sort of PKGBUILD imposed dep on
> a -git package without a pinned comment telling why. And the only way to
> be sure that the user will read it if they use the -git dependency, is
> either that this dependency is absolutely required (because e.g. it does
> not compile without it or does not run, in which cases listing it in
> depends is OK), or that they have to read this first to realize they can
> and maybe should swap the standard dep with the -git one.

What, people install multiple -git packages, but then refuse to ever
update them unless they were installed with --asexplicit? I literally
cannot fathom that idea, and have never heard of such a notion. I've
heard of people who would leave them both not-updated, though.

I don't believe anyone will ever do as you fear.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User