[aur-general] AUR - Best Practices when Package no longer Supported for Linux upstream but LTS fine?

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Thu Aug 20 10:04:16 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-19 23:53 -0500
David C. Rankin wrote:

>Aur devs,
>
>  The virtualbox 5.2 branch is unsupported as of July 2020. Oracle continues
>to put out testbuilds for 5.2, but currently it does not build with 5.8 (LTS
>is fine). 5.2.44 was the last release for the 5.2 branch and there will be no
>further updates to support Linux 5.8. What do I do with the package? Do I mark
>it LTS only in some way, or just disown it or have it removed?
>

>--
>David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Given that there are only 4 votes even before 5.8 was released, there doesn't
seem to be a lot of demand for the package. Maintaining it until the very end
of obsolescence probably isn't worth it so I would file a removal request
citing the incompatibility with 5.8. If someone really wants to resurrect it,
they can.

Regards,
Xyne