[aur-general] TU application - rgacogne

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 13 17:15:58 UTC 2020

On 11/13/20 8:52 AM, Remi Gacogne via aur-general wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> My name is Remi Gacogne, and I hereby apply to join the Trusted Users
> team, kindly sponsored by Levente Polyak and Morten Linderud.
>
> I'm 37 years old and live in Paris, France. My journey with Linux
> started around 1999 with Mandrake, quickly replaced by Slackware which
> has been my favourite distribution until I fell in love with Arch,
> around 2009. Since then I have been involved in several aspects of the
> life of the Arch community like the wiki and the bug tracker [1], but my
> main contributions have been to the security team, often bugging you
> folks with security issues in your packages :) You can find me on
> Freenode and OFTC under the nick of rgacogne.
>
> I have contributed to many FOSS projects over the years, mainly by
> writing and fixing C, C++ and Python code, hopefully not introducing too
> many bugs in the process. Some of them can be found on my GitHub profile
> [2]. I have held positions as a sysadmin, security engineer and software
> engineer in the past, and am currently working for the PowerDNS [3]
> open-source company as a software engineer.
>
> In my spare time I enjoy climbing, hiking, paragliding and trail
> running, as well as drinking beers. I'm also involved in a few
> non-profit organisations, far away from computers.
>
> I am currently maintaining a few packages in the AUR [4], although most
> of the popular ones I used to maintain having been moved to community by
> existing TUs along the way, with my blessing and gratitude. As a TU I
> would like to move two of the remaining ones to community:
> - bgpq3
> - dnsdist
>
> My main motivation for becoming a TU is however not to move those, but
> to relieve the workload of other TUs by helping maintain and/or adopting
> existing community packages. For obvious reasons I have already
> discussed adopting the powerdns and powerdns-recursor packages from
> anthraxx, but I would also be interested in adopting some orphans here
> and there, like for example hiredis, libopenraw and nsd. I should also
> mention that being a TU would be very useful to my work on the security
> team, since I would then be able to help fix critically vulnerable packages.
> My preferred, old-fashioned, way of keeping track of packages updates is
> to subscribe to mailing-lists, but I have come to appreciate the use of
> tools like nvchecker in doing so as well :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Remi
>
> [1]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/user/9172
> [2]: https://github.com/rgacogne
> [3]: https://www.powerdns.com
> [4]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?SeB=m&K=rgacogne

I hereby confirm my sponsorship of Remi :)

Basically the same story as Morten mentioned, we also first met in meat
space during the Chaos Communication Congress, however he did not
thought that i was jelle as well :P

I got to know him on multiple real life and virtual occasions as a very
friendly and kind person with a profound technical knowledge and lot of
contributions. I have no doubt that we will be a valuable Trusted User
and strengthen our team -- and on top will gain a bit more scope of
action for the Security Team duties.

Let the discussion period officially begin :)

cheers,
Levente