[aur-general] Reply to your request SGE

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 12 23:43:23 UTC 2020

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 19:26:07 -0400
Manhong Dai via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi Freswa,
>
>   Somebody pointed me to your reply in the list. I didn't even know that
> the request in the AUR request system was sent to this email list, nor I
> know such an email list existed.
>
>   I agree that you think you already gave enough explanation from your
> point of view. However, please think about it in my shoes, I I didn't even
> know such an email list existed before I sent the last request through the
> AUR website, and I just registered it about an hour ago to appeal. If you
> think I spammed this request system, I am sorry for it. But from my point
> of view, I have been extremely patient and following the ladder to appeal,
> because I didn't get any email or any response on the AUR website, which
> just says one word 'rejected'.
>
>   I am also a very responsive package maintainer. You can check out my
> other packages, as long as other people submitted a suggestion, I responded
> the second day, and accepted their suggestions.
>
>   In terms of the package SGE, I just searched my email again but didn't
> find any email saying that the package is marked as out-of-date. It will be
> hard to believe that a package that was submitted just four months ago is
> already marked as out of date. It worked on a cluster of all our Arch Linux
> nodes four months ago, and it is still working on the latest Arch Linux. It
> worked on both new node installation and old node upgrade . I would never
> have thought to check the AUR website to see if I am still a maintainer.
> All I got was the two emails, one saying it was disowned, the other saying
> it was adopted, and they are 19 minutes apart.
>
>   Now I understand that each AUR package maintainer should join the email
> list and keep watching it. Given this special circumstance, can I get the
> maintainer status for the package SGE back?
>
> Best,
> Manhong

And the comment left on the AUR page, that you would have gotten a notification
from? They were right, the PKGBUILD was in absolutely terrible shape. Nobody
said it was out of date, just that it very, very badly needed fixing and you
were ignoring it. You would have then gotten notifications on Sept 19th when it
was first requested that it be orphaned, on Oct 6th when a second request the
it be orphaned was filed, and on Oct 10th when it was requested for a 3rd time
that it be orphaned.

Note that none of those notifications require you to be subscribed to any
mailing list. They were sent directly to you.

With the state of the PKGBUILD and no response, removing the maintainer was the
right thing to do, without question.