[aur-general] Pushing rc version of package to aur

Jan Kohnert nospam001-lists at jan-kohnert.de
Sat Jul 31 12:28:45 UTC 2021

Hi,

Am Freitag, 30. Juli 2021, 22:54:04 CEST schrieb Kevin Morris via aur-general:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 06:55:45PM +0200, Jan Kohnert via aur-general wrote:
> > I recall having read somewhere in the docs that pushing rc version is
> > generally discouraged on the aur, but got a out-of-date flagging today.
>
> If 1.0.0-rc.3 is why they're flagging it out of date, perhaps you could
> reply to them and explain why it's not out of date; an rc is a release
> candidate, but not necessarily a true release.

the RC we're talking about has been build mid last year, since then no new
releases have been pushed (they do weekly (release-)builds, though). Version
0.9.9 OTOH has been quite heavily patched to be able to build and run on current
arch (I included upstrean python3 patches, as well as a graphicsmackic patch);
patching would not be neccessary using the current RC.

I also have been working on an updated package last year in a local branch, since
I was hoping a 1.0.0 release to have been happened sometime last year...

> imho, if folks want release candidates, a VCS package could always be
> crafted. I would personally avoid releasing non-vcs rc packages.

A vcs pakage would use current git; and since in the end folks tend to use
astronomical software to publish papers; it could be disadvantageous to use a
possibly broken git version. OTOH, this holds true for RC releases, too; though
they might have been tested better .

So, I'm still unsure what to do...

Best regards, Jan