[aur-general] Status of Garuda Linux PKGBUILD on AUR?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed May 12 17:56:56 UTC 2021

On 5/12/21 6:07 AM, fredbezies via aur-general wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I saw that packages meant for Manjaro or another archlinux based
> distro - not ArchLinux itself - were removed.
>
> Garuda Linux project - https://garudalinux.org/ - put on AUR at least
> 7 packages for its distribution.
>
> See https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=garuda
>
> Are these PKGBUILDs allowed or not?
>
> Thanks for your answer.

It's not a problem, inherently, for other distros to put up packages in
the AUR. Those packages just have to follow the same rules everyone follows.

Simply put, the AUR is the *Arch* User Repository, not the Garuda User
Repository or the Manjaro User Repository or the Arch-like-derivatives
User Repository. As a rule of thumb, all uploaded packages must be
capable of being built on at least one supported Arch Linux system, and
do something useful when installed there.

So:

- architecture must either be "any", or include "x86_64"
- - may additionally support other distros
- cannot hardcode functionality such that it assumes some other distro
  is in use

I have no idea which packages of Garuda did not get deleted, or which
packages of Manjaro did. But examples of packages that are...

non-problematic:
- icon/desktop themes that contain Manjaro imagery

problematic:
- pacman-mirrors, a program that generates mirrors for the Manjaro
  package repositories, which Arch systems don't use
- manjaro-system, a pacman hook that does Manjaro-specific workarounds
  for the Arch News
- mhwd, a Manjaro program that I believe assumes you're using the
  Manjaro official kernel names... so if you tried to use it on Arch, it
  would fail.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User