[aur-general] Status of Garuda Linux PKGBUILD on AUR?

Pedro Henrique Lara Campos pedro.laracampos at gmail.com
Wed May 12 20:32:25 UTC 2021

> - mhwd, a Manjaro program that I believe assumes you're using the
>  Manjaro official kernel names... so if you tried to use it on Arch, it
>  would fail.

I'm very curious about this one, as "mhwd-garuda-git" is a fork of
Manjaro edited to use Arch's kernel names, as well as GPU-related
packages.

I know cause they asked my help at the time.

Those seems to have on pkgdesc "manjaro settings manager ported to
work with arch standards and limited to only dkms driver"

Thanks for the hard work Eli (big fan of yours),
Pedro Lara Campos
Chaotic-AUR main maintainer.

On 5/12/21 6:07 AM, fredbezies via aur-general wrote:
>* Hello.
*> >* I saw that packages meant for Manjaro or another archlinux based
*>* distro - not ArchLinux itself - were removed.
*> >* Garuda Linux project - https://garudalinux.org/
<https://garudalinux.org/> - put on AUR at least
*>* 7 packages for its distribution.
*> >* See https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=garuda
<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=garuda>
*> >* Are these PKGBUILDs allowed or not?
*> >* Thanks for your answer.
*
It's not a problem, inherently, for other distros to put up packages in
the AUR. Those packages just have to follow the same rules everyone follows.

Simply put, the AUR is the *Arch* User Repository, not the Garuda User
Repository or the Manjaro User Repository or the Arch-like-derivatives
User Repository. As a rule of thumb, all uploaded packages must be
capable of being built on at least one supported Arch Linux system, and
do something useful when installed there.

So:

- architecture must either be "any", or include "x86_64"
- - may additionally support other distros
- cannot hardcode functionality such that it assumes some other distro
  is in use

I have no idea which packages of Garuda did not get deleted, or which
packages of Manjaro did. But examples of packages that are...

non-problematic:
- icon/desktop themes that contain Manjaro imagery

problematic:
- pacman-mirrors, a program that generates mirrors for the Manjaro
  package repositories, which Arch systems don't use
- manjaro-system, a pacman hook that does Manjaro-specific workarounds
  for the Arch News

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User