[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

David C. Rankin drankinatty at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:05:21 UTC 2021

On 5/18/21 2:06 AM, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> On 2021-05-17 21:16, Carsten Haitzler via aur-general wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:32:26 +0000 lawl via aur-general
>> <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> said:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm the developer of NoiseTorch (https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/).
>>> I faithfully believe that the package "noisetorch" in the ArchLinux User
>>> Repository ("AUR") (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noisetorch/) violates
>>> my license (GPLv3).
>>>
>>> I have the asked previous maintainer of this package to not apply patches or
>>> make it clear that this is a fork that's being conveyed. Several Arch Linux
>>> trusted users were also informed of this:
>>> https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068
>>
>> I am just looking at the AUR repository for this right now. It has no patches.
>> It does not modify anything from the original. It builds the original with
>> standard go tooling and options available in that toolchain (not modifications
>> to your software) and then packages up the resulting build. The only addition
>> is ADDING a .desktop file to that package archive to make it easier to run the
>> application. This does not modify the software. So by your quotes below it
>> meets
>> the license requirements. I don't know what was in the AUR pkg repo before but
>> it certainly seems to be fine now.
>
> For anyone else wondering what the fuss is all about, this is a long-running
> bout of drama stirred up by the developer of Noisetorch [1]. They are hostile
> and will not be reasoned with, unfortunately.
>
> We are under no obligation to listen to these demands as we do not distribute
> the software and only supply a build script for which a user may build their
> own package. Kowtowing to this petulance will hardly solve the problem
> long-term as it is clear that *any* packages not made by the developer are
> treated with hostility.
>
> But I guess hashworks has already extended the olive branch; We'll have to see
> whether that's enough...
>

> [1] https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068

I have reviewed all commits from 811aec6641ff509bd44cd80aa872f71df502e36a
forward and there was no GPLv3 violation to begin with. The patch of the
version is irrelevant to the operation or use of the software.

(notwithstanding that Arch doesn't distribute anything to begin with)

Probably kinda hard for a Go programmer to understand...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.