[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Brett Cornwall brett at i--b.com
Tue May 18 07:06:21 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-17 21:16, Carsten Haitzler via aur-general wrote:
>On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:32:26 +0000 lawl via aur-general
><aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> said:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm the developer of NoiseTorch (https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/).
>> I faithfully believe that the package "noisetorch" in the ArchLinux User
>> Repository ("AUR") (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noisetorch/) violates
>> my license (GPLv3).
>>
>> I have the asked previous maintainer of this package to not apply patches or
>> make it clear that this is a fork that's being conveyed. Several Arch Linux
>> trusted users were also informed of this:
>> https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068
>
>I am just looking at the AUR repository for this right now. It has no patches.
>It does not modify anything from the original. It builds the original with
>standard go tooling and options available in that toolchain (not modifications
>to your software) and then packages up the resulting build. The only addition
>is ADDING a .desktop file to that package archive to make it easier to run the
>application. This does not modify the software. So by your quotes below it meets
>the license requirements. I don't know what was in the AUR pkg repo before but
>it certainly seems to be fine now.

For anyone else wondering what the fuss is all about, this is a
long-running bout of drama stirred up by the developer of Noisetorch
[1]. They are hostile and will not be reasoned with, unfortunately.

We are under no obligation to listen to these demands as we do not
distribute the software and only supply a build script for which a user
may build their own package. Kowtowing to this petulance will hardly
solve the problem long-term as it is clear that *any* packages not made
by the developer are treated with hostility.

But I guess hashworks has already extended the olive branch; We'll have
to see whether that's enough...

[1] https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068