[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Carsten Haitzler raster at rasterman.com
Mon May 17 20:16:24 UTC 2021

On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:32:26 +0000 lawl via aur-general
<aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> said:

> Hello
>
> I'm the developer of NoiseTorch (https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/).
> I faithfully believe that the package "noisetorch" in the ArchLinux User
> Repository ("AUR") (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noisetorch/) violates
> my license (GPLv3).
>
> I have the asked previous maintainer of this package to not apply patches or
> make it clear that this is a fork that's being conveyed. Several Arch Linux
> trusted users were also informed of this:
> https://github.com/lawl/NoiseTorch/issues/2#issuecomment-785262068

I am just looking at the AUR repository for this right now. It has no patches.
It does not modify anything from the original. It builds the original with
standard go tooling and options available in that toolchain (not modifications
to your software) and then packages up the resulting build. The only addition
is ADDING a .desktop file to that package archive to make it easier to run the
application. This does not modify the software. So by your quotes below it meets
the license requirements. I don't know what was in the AUR pkg repo before but
it certainly seems to be fine now.

Carsten Haitzler - raster at rasterman.com