[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Manhong Dai daimh at umich.edu
Fri May 21 16:37:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, 2021-05-21 at 18:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via aur-general wrote:
> Hi Manhong,
>
> it's squishy to form an opinion related to violation of a
> license and toleration of sensible modifications and sometimes even
> distinguish between theft and fortuitousness.
>
> If you wrote a song named "love song" composed of holding the note c
> for
> 1000 beats and after that holding the note c# for another 1000 beats
> at
> 120 beats per minute and a year later I write two songs and name both
> "love song", too, one composed of holding the note c for 1000 beats
> at
> 120 beats per minute and the other one holding the note c# for 1000
> beats at 120 beats per minute. Would it make sense to argue related
> author's rights?
>
> Sometimes disputes make no sense. Several factors must be taken into
> account and often common sense can be used to rate, if it's worth to
> argue.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Full agreed with the common sense part, as copyright law is often
complicated, even for attorneys. but I still think even 'sensible
modifications' is still a modification, especially if the original
author has an issue with it.

In terms of your wonderful metaphor 'love song', sorry I cannot comment
, as there is no cell remotely related to any music in my brain or toe.
:)

Best,
Manhong