[aur-general] About the vuescan-bin package updating problm

Thibault Molleman thibaultmolleman at gmail.com
Fri May 28 21:10:09 UTC 2021

So, I like the Vuescan app and I respect the developer for having made it.
Really glad I paid for it.
BUT it has to be said that installing/updating this aur package is a
disaster.
Basically: the download urls and/or the checksums keep changing to the
point where 90% of the time when you try to update/install it, the pkgbuild
is already out of date.
I emailed the developer asking if he could adopt a better download url
system.
He replied: "No, I want people to only download VueScan from www.hamrick.com
and I’m trying to figure out ways of disabling downloading from other
sites."
I explained to him that downloading from a repo or via a pkgbuild is such a
convenient method and one of the key selling points of using Linux tbh.
But haven't received an answer back (it has only been 3 days. But still).

I really hope this 'issue' can somehow be resolved so people can properly
install this great app without the constant cat-mouse game of trying to
update the checksum fast enough.

Cheers,
Thibault