[aur-general] About the vuescan-bin package updating problm

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri May 28 21:28:33 UTC 2021

On 5/28/21 5:10 PM, Thibault Molleman via aur-general wrote:
> So, I like the Vuescan app and I respect the developer for having made it.
> Really glad I paid for it.
> BUT it has to be said that installing/updating this aur package is a
> disaster.
> Basically: the download urls and/or the checksums keep changing to the
> point where 90% of the time when you try to update/install it, the pkgbuild
> is already out of date.
> I emailed the developer asking if he could adopt a better download url
> system.

It sounds like you've done an excellent job analyzing the problem and
figuring out the solution.

> He replied: "No, I want people to only download VueScan from www.hamrick.com
> and I’m trying to figure out ways of disabling downloading from other
> sites."

That's a shame, but there's nothing anyone can do about it if he does.

> I explained to him that downloading from a repo or via a pkgbuild is such a
> convenient method and one of the key selling points of using Linux tbh.
> But haven't received an answer back (it has only been 3 days. But still).
>
> I really hope this 'issue' can somehow be resolved so people can properly
> install this great app without the constant cat-mouse game of trying to
> update the checksum fast enough.

The checksums will need to be updated either way in order to update the
package. Your solution does mean the old version would continue to work
until the PKGBUILD gets updated...

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User