[aur-general] TU Application - serebit

Jonathon Fernyhough jonathon at m2x.dev
Mon Jul 25 19:09:19 UTC 2022

On 25/07/2022 18:57, Campbell Jones via aur-general wrote:
> I currently have two machines - one desktop, which I use for most of my work, and one significantly less powerful laptop that I'm typing this email from. Both of these machines are currently running EndeavourOS, and not vanilla Arch Linux. I chose Endeavour initially because I wanted something very close to upstream Arch, using upstream repositories, but with a curated set of packages on install.
>
> While I would like to keep one of my machines running Endeavour so I can help with the Budgie experience on that distribution as well, I am not opposed to converting my laptop to vanilla Arch if that's something that would be requested of me upon becoming a TU. I see the value in having pure Arch installed as a testing and validation platform.

Most people who know me know that I am a proponent of (and contributor
to) a couple of derivatives (EndeavourOS and Garuda) as they provide a
certain value to specific groups of people (plus I like the people and
communities behind them).

However, I myself run Arch proper, which means that it's much easier to
exclude any distro-centric changes having an effect on configuration,
packaging, etc. etc. etc. and this is particularly key when running on
[testing].

While EndeavourOS is one of the closest derivatives I'm aware of, they
still have their own repo with some tooling and hooks which might
(maybe) affect things once installed (package building can/should be
done in a clean Arch chroot so that's never an issue). Therefore,
running some instance of Arch proper (even if it's in a VM) is likely to
be important, as you say, for testing and validation.

Having said all of this, I'd also wait to hear from any devs/TUs who
want to weigh in on this; they might consider that an Arch TU not
running Arch might be a bit weird. xD