[aur-requests] [PRQ#10039] Deletion Request for visual-studio-code

Duru Can Celasun can at dcc.im
Mon Dec 18 20:33:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017, at 21:23, Earnestly via aur-requests wrote:
> Let's hope the open source package will adopt the appropriate name
> instead of having to hack around a packager who claimed it instead of
> properly using a -bin suffix to denote the package type in the first
> place.

As I've said here [1], here [2] and here [3] (and Microsoft said here
[4]) the open source package is not allowed to use the name Visual
Studio in any way. Therefore it needs to be renamed to "code",
"microsoft-code" or something similar.  So the open source package is
named inappropriately, regardless of how I named the original package.

Finally, when a package is binary only (i.e there is no indication an
open source version does or will exist), not using a -bin suffix is
perfectly acceptable. See steam [5] in the offical repositories.

[1]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2017-December/021155.html
[2]
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2017-December/021158.html