[pacman-dev] config handling

Xavier Chantry x.chantry at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 26 15:38:51 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:01:29PM +0300, ????? ??????? wrote:
> rc.sysinit? Well, I thought that only config files should be added to
> backup array.
> System shell scripts should not. It is better to use NoUpgrade for them.
> You cannot add all system shell scripts to backup array, but any of
> them can be modified by user.
> User modifies such files in rare situations, so placing all of them in
> backup array is bad idea;
> placing only some of them produces problem - how to decide which to
> place in backup array and which don't?
> So, IMO it is better to leave things as they are now - use backup
> array for all config files + XYZ logic, and use NoUpgrade if user
> modifies some system shell scripts.

Ok I see your point. So should pacman ignore config files in NoUpgrade?
or disallow them?
or should these files be handled specifically (that's what my patch does) ?
Something will have to change in order to fix the problem you reported.

Btw, what happen if you remove the package containing the script you edited?
For config files, it should save them as .pacsave by default
(unless you use the --nosave option).
But I guess your edited scripts will be removed. Is this fine?
(actually, I didn't even try, so I'm not 100% sure about this behavior)

The whole backup stuff is about avoiding to lose custom changes.