[pacman-dev] Problems with frugalware splitname changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun Oct 8 07:58:03 EDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 06:21:27AM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The arch is added at the end in this patch, after the pkgrel, so there
> is no ambiguity
> foo-bar-2.4-1-i686
> foo-bar-2.4-1-x86_64
> etc etc

okay, but then we should hardcore the list of possible arches. or how
could we determine of the last item is an arch or a pkgrel?

checking if the last item is an integer or not could work, but for
security support we use non-integer pkgrels to avoid the following
scenario:

foo-1.0-1 has a security bug and there is a vendor patch to fix the
issue. so we upload foo-1.0-2 to -current. foo-1.0-2 is built against
libbar.so.1. then we upload foo-1.0-2siwenna1 to -stable, compiled
against libbar.so.0 (in a -stable chroot). this way when a user upgrades
to -current his "foo" pkg will be upgraded and will be linked to the
right version of libbar

hardcoding the archlist is ugly, but if we really want to do this runtime,
then i think we need to do so

or have i missed something?

udv / greetings,
VMiklos