[pacman-dev] What about managing optional dependencies?

Cameron Daniel me at camdaniel.com
Thu Oct 12 19:55:56 EDT 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:05:26 +0200
Christian Hamar <krics at gds.hu> wrote:

> But i dont realize too much package which this feature will be
> usefull. Only few. :(

I agree. For the most part I don't think this would be mega useful and
while at times it would, when pacman -Rs foo was run pacman/libalpm
would need to go through the added optdepends() and try to establish
whether or not they were installed and then would they be uninstalled?
How do you propose pacman handles optional depends other than simply
alerting the user they exist?

Semi-useful feature but I don't know how often it would be used and
provided pacman needed to deal with optdepends() at uninstall-time it
would definitely slow down the process.

Just my 2c...
  - Cameron