[pacman-dev] What about managing optional dependencies?

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 01:33:18 EDT 2006

2006/10/13, Cameron Daniel <me at camdaniel.com>:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 00:05:26 +0200
> Christian Hamar <krics at gds.hu> wrote:
>
> > But i dont realize too much package which this feature will be
> > usefull. Only few. :(
>
> I agree. For the most part I don't think this would be mega useful and
> while at times it would, when pacman -Rs foo was run pacman/libalpm
> would need to go through the added optdepends() and try to establish
> whether or not they were installed and then would they be uninstalled?
> How do you propose pacman handles optional depends other than simply
> alerting the user they exist?
>
> Semi-useful feature but I don't know how often it would be used and
> provided pacman needed to deal with optdepends() at uninstall-time it
> would definitely slow down the process.

If there are not many packages that will use that features then why to
worry? ;-)
And IMHO it's more logical that optional dependencies will be removed
if unneeded too.

Anyway this is not super-feature, just small improvement, which will
need further testing.
Maybe I can make a patch for this. :-/

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)