[pacman-dev] community is active by default

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 16:02:07 EST 2007

2007/2/13, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>:
> Am Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:00:05 +0100
> schrieb Isenmann Daniel <daniel.isenmann at gmx.de>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know if anyone post this before. community is by default
> > activated in the /etc/pacman3.conf
> >
> > In pacman2 it wasn't activate by default. Was this a mistake or should
> > it be active by default?
> >
> > Bye, Daniel

> O. Already two votes to have it enabled by default.
>
> It should be disabled by default! So it was in the past. Everybody
> should carefully decide if he wants to trust in the TU's work or not.
> >From a developers view I want to have it strictly apart from what we
> call "official" packages.
>
> For x86_64 we have a special more critical situation. We only
> have a few packages. They are often outdated (=security risks or not
> usable at all). I have the feeling the 64bit TUs take only care about
> their certain "lib32" interests. So our Community packages may add
> 32bit libraries what is in contrast of the intention the x86_64 port
> has.
>
> I'm very disappointed about the x86_64 community repo situation right
> now.
>
> I'm not going to have that repo enabled by default at this time.

Ehm, how it will hurt if user doesn't install package from Community?
When user does pacman -Ss editor he/she will get a list of packages
_and_repos_ where they are. User can choose if he/she want to install
some community package.

From my point of view enabling community repo by default will just
make -Ss searching from larger list. So new Arch users will be quickly
aware of packages in community. Most users enable community repo
anyway.

Anyway IMHO it's not critical question to have community enabled or
disabled by dafault.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)