[pacman-dev] The real deal - pacman 3.0.0 RC1

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:24:41 EST 2007

On 3/5/07, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. März 2007 16:25:09 schrieb Dan McGee:

> > > No one is questioning what is correct.  The problem is that the
> > > autotooled configure script is what generates this value.  Not us.  if
> > > you look at the configure.ac script, it does:
> > > CHOST="$host"
> > >
> > > The host variable comes from configure.
>
> yes, but i think this is initially hardcoded.

Hardcoded WHERE? You seem to be missing the point here. The reason I
told you to look into this, and then did it for you, is that
config.guess is the program that is generating the value of CHOST for
us. We do not hardcode it anywhere. Sorry for sounding angry here, but
the point is we have no control over it- it is your version of
autotools/libtool, which we should try to ensure are updated if that
is the case. If that doesn't work, then we will just include
config.guess right in our repository.

> > If you have the time, please look into AC_CANONICAL_HOST, which is the
> > standard for determining the host type. In addition, try downloading
> > the most recent config.guess at
> > <http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess>
> > and seeing what that produces for you. We may be using an outdated one
> > pulled from somewhere on the system.
> >
> > -Dan
>
> I talked to andyrtr about this and he said "unknown" was chosen because older
> versions of autotools could not hanlde "pc". I have looked into
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.sub and
> there you`ll finde the following comment:
>
>         # We use `pc' rather than `unknown'
>         # because (1) that's what they normally are, and
>         # (2) the word "unknown" tends to confuse beginning users.
>         i*86 | x86_64)
>           basic_machine=$basic_machine-pc
>           ;;
>
> Well I do not know how important this chost variable is. ;-) But after some
> research I would say that "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" would be corrent nowadays.
> And btw: do you know any x86_64 machine which is not a pc?

config.sub is not used in this situation, unless you provide a
--host=x86_64 flag (or something along those lines) on the command
line. config.guess is used when no --host flag is provided. You can
try doing this now and -pc- will probably be in there instead of
-unknown-. This is really an issue that should be brought up on the
autotools/autoconf ML, I'm sure someone there can answer this whole
thing a lot quicker than we have been able to.