[pacman-dev] Asciidoc manpages

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:37:04 EST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 10:38 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone on the list know a lot about Asciidoc? Specifically, I
> noticed that our manpage generation has gotten a bit weird. Notice
> that every manpage generated in the pacman-git release (or in your own
> working tree when using --enable-asciidoc) has:
> * a weird Notes section at the bottom
> * a broken "See Also" section (looks like the macro is busted or something)
>
> In addition, the PKGBUILD example nclude in PKGBUILD.5 does not look so hot.

I fixed the broken "See Also" and the PKGBUILD example problem with
the following commit:
<http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p=pacman.git;a=commit;h=f3e8343c7ed778deaa6615e4aca2cb68a6bc0053>

The Notes issue is still outstanding.

I've thrown up HTML versions of the manpages at
<http://www.archlinux.org/~dan/pacman-git/> as well, generated after
the above fixes. These are generated with the following: cd doc/; for
txtfile in $(ls *.txt); do asciidoc $txtfile; done

Looking at these, I see a few more issues. The linkage to other
manpages is broken (should be a straightforward fix in the manlink
macro) and displays wrong. We should turn the links in the "See Also"
section into actual HTML links as well.