[pacman-dev] interest in using meson over autotools?

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 8 00:46:25 UTC 2018

On 08/07/18 09:13, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Yes, some of this could be resolved by fixing/rewriting the autotools
> madness to not use recursive make, but I'd suggest we just drop
> autotools and adopt meson. Meson can easily fix all of the above.

I had a branch on a old dead laptop that rewrote autotools stuff and
fixed most of those issues.  Also required some rearrangement of our
code rather than symlinking shared stuff.   Was still crap...

Anyway, I have not had time to deal with meson, so I'll take your
endorsement at face value.  Happy to change, particularly if we plan for
a release containing both as a transition.  But I will likely need help
reviewing meson related stuff until I get up to speed.