[pacman-dev] [Building] checksum.sh: syntax error.

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 00:51:55 UTC 2020

On 1/5/20 7:25 PM, nly at disroot.org wrote:
>> Yeah... but the problem here is that you're generating pedantic warnings
>> for lacking ISO C conformance in your libc headers, which is just plain
>> useless. Might as well disable all warnings.
>
> I see. I set `-Wno-pedantic' flags in `configure.ac'. This should
> shorten the log a whole lot. Thanks for the patience.

Hmm, but we don't set -Wpedantic in the first place. Is guix doing that?

>> Then I cannot understand why it is complaining here! Do you get the same
>> error when you manually run this:
>> $ /gnu/store/whkq7f2d702hqnrdd2cqskqxdx267283-profile/bin/bash -O
>> extglob -n ./scripts/libmakepkg/executable/checksum.sh
>
> $ /gnu/store/whkq7f2d702hqnrdd2cqskqxdx267283-profile/bin/bash -O extglob -n
> ./scripts/libmakepkg/executable/checksum.sh
>
> yields nothing.
>
> Unawares, I was using a different shell in my config.
>
> The issue was my environment, `~/.emacs' config:
> (setq explicit-shell-file-name "gash"
>       explicit-gash-args nil)
>
> I did expect make to use `bash' explicitly instead of using my `gash'
> shell. Now, using bash as shell, the build log is clean and error-free.

I've never heard of gash before, but...

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gash/
"Gash is designed to bootstrap Bash as part of the Guix
bootstrap process."

This makes me nervous that it may be internally doing Magic Things™ to
advertise itself as bash in some way that the configure script or
Makefile gets fooled by.

If you can figure out just why this happened, and/or a way to reliably
ensure bash itself is detected instead of gash, then we might be able to
fine-tune our detection algorithm.

> log: http://nly.info.tm:9001/log/pacman3
>
>> If you only build lib/libalpm/ and src/pacman/ then sure. Do you need a
>> working makepkg too, though?
>
> I do. After fixing the above mentioned issues, makepkg is also
> built.

Great!

--
Eli Schwartz