[arch-general] makechrootpkg -d goes in repo.db why not local.db consistent with DevWiki?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:43:24 EDT 2012

On 03/22/2012 06:22 PM, baho Utot wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 06:54 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>>    I have followed the DeveloperWiki:Building in a Clean Chroot page closely for
>> the trinity build and it has worked fine. For major rebuilds it has you create a
>> local.db.tar.gz in /root/repo as a local repo. However, I was experimenting with
>> makechrootpkg -d and it suggest it will add the package to the local /repo, but
>> instead it creates /root/repo/repo.db. Why not local.db?
>>
>>    Looking at the developer wiki and then looking at the help file for
>> makechrootpkg:
>>
>>    -d         Add the package to a local db at /repo after building
>>
>>    I expected both to be consistent. Is there a reason for the difference?
>>

> The repo.db.tar.gz is what I would expect.
>
> -d says It will add the path to a local repo not that the repo database will be
> called local.db.tar.gz
>
> Just put
>
> [repo]
> Server = file:///repo
>
> into the pacman.conf in the chroot directory and it will work.
>
> Then the chroot evironment will be able to load/install dependcy packages when
> needed for building the "package under building".
>
> I do this all the time.

That's what I would have thought, but the DeveloperWiki says:

The chmod statement allows for the coping of package files and for the creation
of the local repo as your user rather than root.

cp <package> $CHROOT/root/repo
cd $CHROOT/root/repo
repo-add local.db.tar.gz <package>

Then add the local repo to $CHROOT/root/etc/pacman.conf

[local]
Server = file:///repo

  I think they should be consistent. No big deal. The point being if you start
out following DeveloperWiki:Building in a Clean Chroot and the read the
description for -d you are left wondering "Why in the heck are they not
consistent?" :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.