[arch-general] Upgrade finish in a "Kernel Panic - not syncing : no init found"

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 01:17:11 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Dany De Bontridder <dany118 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I reinstalled 2 weeks ago arch linux, because a pacman -Syu broke everything.
>
> Today,  everything works fine and I decide to keep my PC up-to-date,
> so I run pacman -Syu and I get a message when trying to boot
>
>  *** Kernel Panic - not syncing : No init found. ***
>
> Of course, because I saved the list of the packages before and after
> this upgrade, (with pacman -Qe) I tried to downgrade, but it doesn't
> work at all.
>
> I still have the same message error, I checked and changed the
> grub.cfg without no success : the rootfs is correct, the init is on
> /dev/sda2 (a link to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd)
>
> So I tried to append to vmlinuz line "init=3" "init=/sbin/init"
> "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" ... Without any success even when
> downgrading the kernel version (from 3.8 to 3.7)
>

> I can of course reinstall everything but I prefer to avoid that,
> someone can help me please ??? I really don't understand what
> happened.
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Dany

Are you sure sda is the right device? When devices are added or
removed from the system (even if it's just a USB dongle!), the
numbering can change. This is why specifying the device directly
(instead of through UUID or LABEL) is dangerous.

Maybe the filesystem got corrupted. Chroot into your system from the
install media and verify /usr/lib/systemd/systemd is present and
executable.