[aur-general] Notification of GPL violation

Manhong Dai daimh at umich.edu
Mon May 24 13:20:01 UTC 2021

On Mon, 2021-05-24 at 09:11 +0200, Miguel Revilla Rodríguez via aur-
general wrote:
> El dom, 23 may 2021 a las 17:12, Manhong Dai via aur-general (<
> aur-general at lists.archlinux.org>) escribió:
>

> > I would fully agree with you if the patch file doesn't include any
> > original
> > source code.
> >

> Then we only have to start using xdelta instead of diff to create the
> patches and we will be fine, as the deltas don't contain any of the
> original code, but only instructions on how to convert it to the new
> one.
> It is not human readable, git won't like it as much as it likes plain
> text
> files, and won't work with line offsets, but it will fully comply with
> the
> license.
> Best
>
> Miguel

I am sure this xdelta idea can be useful in some 'right to repair'
cases, as it doesn't use any source code, and thus doesn't have the
copyright issue. The thing is xdelta file will break if the upstream
file changes.

That being said, I think diff/patch file is just fine as most upstream
won't complain. Not to mention it is easier for a package maintainer to
put his own copyright claim inside the diff file.

Best,
Manhong