A new release of mkinitcpio has been tagged. The release can be downloaded from
Changes since the previous release:
Announcement of future breaking changes:
* Preset variables *_efi_image are deprecated in favor of *_uki and
option --uefi is deprecated in favor with --uki. The old variables and
options still work, but emit a deprecation warning.
Changes in mkinitcpio:
* Preserve relativity of symbolic links that reside in the same
directory as their targets.
* Fix symbolic link creation and create target files with correct
* Document add_udev_rule that has been available since v31.
* Instead of using stat to get the file permissions and install to copy
it, use cp unless custom permissions are specified. This improves
overall speed of file additions.
* Existing test suite is migrated to bats (Bash Automated Testing
System) and more tests are now available.
* Ensure /proc/cmdline is read as text and make sure to append a newline
and NUL to the .cmdline embedded in unified kernel images. This works
around an issue where /proc/cmdline contains garbage.
* The kernel-install plugin now supports generating unified kernel
* Warn if the interpreter (from the shebang) is missing when adding
"binaries" that are actually scripts.
Changes in hooks:
* hooks/shutdown once again works when /run/initramfs/ already exists in
* install/autodetect looks up modules in the target kernel version
instead of the currently running one.
* install/consolefont, install/keymap and install/sd-vconsole now
declare vconsole.conf supported variables as local to prevent
conflicts with misconstructed hooks may set these variables globally.
* install/memdisk uses the add_udev_rule function available since v31.
Contributions from: Adam Maroti, Christian Hesse, Geert Hendrickx,
Hector Martin, Morten Linderud, Tcc, Tobias Powalowski, nl6720, rogueai
Rendered markdown at https://md.archlinux.org/s/edXOVFGbE
# 2022-12-07 repod meeting
### Git and PGP
* Evaluating which Git/PGP integration for signing and signature checking to use ([#155](https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/repod/-/issues/155)). Current ecosystem is not ideal, so finding the "best" solution is difficult.
* Ideally a separate service would run alongside repod that would be able to sign
* Shelling out to gpg/git commands not ideal since repod integration would be awkward due to output parsing (gpg is particularly awful).
* Getting Git integration is more important than GPG integration right now.
### Updating dependencies
* Still no integration for renovatebot; It does not parse pyproject.toml (it only integrates into poetry).
* Update of mypy was difficult.
### Grouping of repositories
Can now add a group number to repositories! Groups must have unique packages in that group and will reject package uploads if that is violated.
### Manpage improvements
* Readability of manpages have been improved. ([#153](https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/repod/-/issues/153)).
* Lots of options are exposed and more are coming! Considering grouping the options for better navigation.
* Usage of equals sign after the options confused an attendee; It's not a very common pattern but adopted by other projects like systemd.
### Module refactoring
Some models are now being used across modules, so work was done to combine them into `common/models.py`
Regex verification of package values (`common/regex.py`) not compiled into a regex object: This is a possible improvement if it's do-able.
Still no funding. Prototype fund didn't pan out. Still waiting for reply from Internet Fund. Valve still hasn't replied.
### Talk at Hacking in Parallel (HIP)
December 27-30 2022 in Berlin. Tickets are sold out but dvzrv will be giving a talk:
"Pacman can have the cookies and eat the ghosts too"
Schedule to be released shortly. All talks on the stages can be recorded and streamed via media.ccc.